This assignment was written by Jessica Ainsworth-Truong for use in post-secondary education. Use is not permitted without written consent.
To design a prototype luminaire that is functional and aesthetically pleasing. You will use the knowledge gained by the earlier research and exploration exercises to shape your fixture. You should have a space in mind when designing this luminaire, such as a room in your home, an office or a retail location.
You are to build a luminaire using experiential knowledge of lamp control methods. The luminaire design may be portable, surface mounted or pendant style. As this is a prototype, the structure need not be the material you envision for the final product – but the lamp control materials should be consistent.
- A concept word or phrase presented on the boards. AKA the title of your lamp.
- The light control experiment images that most influenced your design.
- Process images of creating the lamp.
- A physical model of your lamp. Remember, this is the prototype.
- Photograph(s) of your finished luminaire
- Connection of concept and light control experiments to physical model
- Design based on light quality
- Clarity of presentation
- Care of craft