This assignment was written by Jessica Ainsworth-Truong for use in post-secondary education. This assignment is not to be used by others without written consent.
Research Paper: Topic & Questions: Objectives
- Identify a specific topic within the broader subject of design history that warrants further investigation
- Devise a series of questions that create breadth and depth for research
- Use the brainstorming method
Research Paper: Topic and Questions: Assignment
Using the brainstorming method, come up with a topic. Start early, so you can discuss developments with me. You might come up with 3 really great topics and need some help weeding 2 out. Or, if you wait until the last minute, you could come up with a shallow topic that will bore you out of your mind. You make the call.
- Evidence of your brainstorming session
- This could be on tracing paper, typed, on a sketchpad, it doesn’t matter
- Your developed topic, also referred to as a thesis sentence
- Five to eight questions about your topic you feel are worth developing
Research Paper Topic & Questions: Grading Criteria
- Inclusion of brainstorming material
- Quality of topic/thesis sentence
- Does it get at something deeper than restating fact
- Depth of questions